Recent job completed in Carndonagh on a house with a fine dash exterior finish which had highly concentrated red algae infestation especially on the north and east facing walls. This job was performed as part of a pre-paint preparation.
As the algae present was quite heavy in places the walls were treated with environmentally friendly lightning cleanze algae treatment which has a fully biodegradable surfactant and poses no danger to plants or the environment when it is rinsed off. It is approved by both the Irish Pesticides Registration & Control Service (PCS) and UK Health & Safety Executive (HSE) for use as a softwashing biocide in Ireland and the UK.
The walls were treated with the first coat and allowed to work while we cleaned the gutters, PVC fascia and soffit before rinsing off and applying a second lower concentrate coat to kill the algae at the root and provide long lasting protection.
It is very important to treat and remove any surface algae before decorating. If the algae is left untreated and painted over it will continue to grow underneath and come through the newly decorated finish in a very short period of time.
As you can see from the before and after photographs, it turned out very well.